October 9th, 2013
It was our pleasure to host the area PALS training today. Students and staff from Forest Glen, Baden and Westvale joined our own group to receive their leadership training for this program.
What is PALS? “Playground Activity Leaders in Schools” encourages all children to participate in activities during recess breaks. Using the slogan, “There is always room for one more” the program seeks to provide the following:
Objectives of the Program
- Increase physical activity
- Decrease conflict and reduce the incidence of playground bullying
- Provide a leadership opportunity for students
- School staff supervise the program
- Students in grades 4 – 6 act as playground activity leaders for younger students during recess breaks
- Public Health Nurses train staff and students to implement the program and provides ongoing support
Directed and organized by two of our own staff leaders, Mrs. Mehring and Mrs. Mills, our PALS will soon be out on the playground providing this excellent service for all of our students.